It's Good To Be Home!
I've been home for one week now, and already I'm missing the Florida weather! This weekend we got over a foot of snow in New Jersey, making it difficult to even go outside at times. The temperatures are in the 20s and there's not much sailing going on!
I cannot impress upon you just how much time and energy is spent on the logistics-side of an Olympic Campaign. I've always heard--but never really believed--that most campaigners spend only about 60% of their time on the water and the other 40% working on logistics and off-water activities. I believe it now. I've spent most of last week booking flights to Europe, reserving housing at each venue, registering for regattas, planning transportation, filling out tons of paperwork, making sure my equipment is in good condition, and organizing my life in general. Planning a successful Olympic Campaign is no doubt a full-time job!
One thing I did do was purchase a big Thule bike box so that I can easily bring my bike with my to Euopre. Another project that I'm working on is purchasing a boat in Europe. Having a boat in Europe will be a great investment in my campaign. The ability to avoid charter fees and hassles and to have some familiarity at each venue is something that should pay dividends down the road. Moreover, if I'm going to spend the next three years campaigning, it should be worth it financially.
Perhaps the only frustrating part of being a member of the US Sailing Team Alphagraphics is that I now have to file "Whereabout Forms" so that the US Anti-Doping Agency knows where I am at all times. These forms, which are turned in quarterly, detail where I am every minute of the day. If I decide to change plans, I have to send updates with new information. I also have to allocate one hour each day that I could be drug tested. I understand that unfortunately we live in a world where this is necessary, but it sure is an inconvenience!
Today I joined KS Fitness, a local gym in Toms River. They have a great setup, complete with cardio equipment and pretty much every weight machine/free weights option I need. I'm sure I'll spend many hours there in the near future.
Next on the schedule is a trip out to Chula Vista, CA. I'm looking forward to working with the US Sailing PET (Performance Enhancement Trainers) out there. From everything I hear, it should be a productive trip.